Xander Smith in the mountains of GermanyAlexander “Xander” Smith was a recipient of the John L. Imhoff Global Studies Scholarship. A junior completing dual degrees in Industrial Engineering and German, he was keen to use his scholarship to study in Germany.

We caught up with him after his time abroad, before the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. He was one of the few students who was able to complete his study abroad.

Xander said his time in Germany was a tale of adventure, friendship, trials and crossing cultures. He first spent four weeks in an intense German course. His first adventure was with a fellow American and a new German friend. Their adventure included a weeklong road trip. They enjoyed touring Munich, camping in the Bavarian Alps, sightseeing in Salzburg, and a time of reflection in Nuremberg.

Xander said his time abroad was truly life-changing.

“Germany is such a beautiful country,” he said. “When you leave your home country, one of the biggest fears is making new friends. I was blessed with many people who, though I only knew a short time, made such a huge impact on me and my time abroad.”

Alexander Smith celebrating Christmas in GermanyWhen he left for Germany, Xander was unsure what was in store for him. “I knew I would gain some practical experience, but I was very nervous,” he said. “After all, I was leaving my home for an extended period of new experiences. Yet, I rarely felt alone, from playing games at orientation, to spending Christmas with a Swiss couple, and learning to Irish dance on my birthday, it was a whirlwind of exciting cultural encounters.”

You can read more about Xander’s German experience on his blog here.